Monday, June 21, 2010

Couch to 5K

Couch to 5K is also known as C25K for the super cool and work out savvy (of which I am neither).  Before last week, it was nothing I had ever heard before.  I thought it looked kinda funny on Twitter, but then,  everything looks pretty foreign to me on Twitter.   My sister, @LovelyShaw was talking about being 'motivated' and 'ready and excited' to start this new workout/running regime where you will be able to run a 5K in 12 weeks.  After finally figuring out how to put the workout on my Ipod, I knew it was time to get out and START. 

I was all geared up with my Nike running shoes, Ipod and headphones and armband to keep the Ipod in place.  I clicked 'start workout' and got ready to GO!  Then it hit me.  I can't do the podcast along with my Nike Plus ( Nike Plus tracks your pace, how long you ran, where you ran, and how much time it took you to do it).  I grabbed another Ipod, you know, for Nike plus, but it was d-e-a-d.   So off I went without my high techie running stuff going, the only 'reward' for doing the run was to ACTUALLY DO IT.  It was not easy dear friends.  About 10 minutes into it, my legs were telling me things I have never heard them say before.  Ohhh the four letter words!   You know like stop, don't, and quit!   I did walk briskly through 3 of the 60 second running segments, but I was alright with that.  Then I pushed.  I pushed my legs to MOVE, not my heart to race, I pushed my mind past the 'maybe I can walk the rest'.  I kept going and I'm pretty darn excited about it. 

I saw 2 deer and 2 dead snakes (my favorite kind of snakes), multiple rabbits...no pun intended.  I always think the first step in something work-out related is the absolute most difficult, and I am pretty happy that first step is over.    I hope I can find my legs by Wednesday.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you. Running and I are not good friends. I do it very poorly. I'm much better with walking. I just got back from a 3 mile walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, Lori! If there's one thing you have, it's will power and that really shows in this post. I am so proud of you for the C25K, for blogging, for Weight Watchers, and just for who you are! Keep up the good work! BTW, you're post so so well written AND hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good news, Dabobie! You are three weeks ahead of where you think you are. C25K teaches you to run 3 miles in 9 weeks!!!!

    ReplyDelete