Wednesday, June 30, 2010

some runs are just not meant to be

My alarm woke me from a very deep sleep, my room was nice and cool seeing as how I had the windows open last night.  My husband was out of town, which meant my cool room and comfy bed were all mine, so I snoozed for an hour. 

Now it's 8am.  I reach over and grab my blackberry from the side table, laying in bed reading some emails and texts, and of course checking Facebook.  I snuggle in for just a few more minutes and decide it's time to get up, dressed, and go 'running' for the couch to 5K challenge.  I've been doing this for almost 2 weeks now, and I have to say....I am REALLY enjoying every part of this workout.   I look forward to my next run, I love sweating for an hour after, I love accomplishing the run just as my day begins.  It's just been a really positive thing for me.

I decide against my morning V8, why?  I'm not sure...but I didn't have it today.  I put on my running shorts, they're new, they go just below my knee...yes below, and are quite comfortable.  Thirteen dollars WELL spent.  I put on socks and shoes, a light t-shirt (rolling up the sleeves), put my hair in a ponytail and headband and begin to stretch.  If you don't already know how crucial it is to fully stretch, let me tell you.  It's crucial.  See how easy that was?  Well really, stretching helps to lengthen the muscles, and as we all know, aides in keeping us injury free.   I go to my purse to grab a piece of gum, and I'm out.  Harumph.  I like chewing gum while I run.  Always have.  I keeps me from realizing how badly I would love a drink of water.  So, no gum today.  I sit briefly at my laptop to get my ipods going, and a cat kindly bats it off the table to the carpeted floor.  Annoyed, I reach down and pick it up.  I slide on my armband, turning the C25K workout on one, and Nike Plus on the other...and go outside.  I always ALWAYS double check the Nike ipod, that is the one that tells me how far I've gone, how fast (or slow), how many calories I've burned, the route I've taken.  It's pretty much the heart of the workout.  I look to see that it has frozen.  What?  UGH.  I've only gone two houses from mine, so I turn around to go back home to figure out how to reset it.  Now it's reset, and again....I'm off.

What a beautiful summer morning.  I notice horseshoe tracks on the dirt road, and I smile.  The sun is hot but the air is cool, such a nice combination.  Then the C25K ipod says 'Ok, time to start your first run -- GO!'  I mumbled to myself already, no wait....I actually said it out loud.  So, I ran, it was fine.  My legs were quite tight, but I did it and then brisk walked until he said it was time for me to run...again!  So, I begin my trotting and I'm noticing that my legs feel like....concrete columns.  Bad.  Very bad.  But, I slowly plow through that run....dreading the next.  And the next.  And the next. 

My goal on this glorious day was to go further then before....and I did, and I knew the Nike ipod would be tracking my every step.  I got to the farmhouse with all the cattle and horses, there was a red truck coming towards me, so I stepped off the asphalt to the soft gravel....and fell.  I rolled my ankle and landed on my right knee and right palm.  My hand skinned, my knee skinned, peeled, bloody, little rocks embedded, but I jumped right up for fear of the red truck stopping to see if i was ok.   He didn't stop, or slow down, and I was thankful.  It was then that I decided to turn around.  This run was feeling more like climbing Mt. Everest, and I never signed up for that.

HOME at last.  I'm sweating.  A lot.  My t-shirt is drenched, you know like you see on TV, that's me.  I always wash my face and hands when I get home, then keep soaking up sweat with a towel.  I sat down to load my Nike run....and it only got the first 8 minutes.  So not only did my run SUCK, it's like it never happened.  How awesome.

Today I will be trying yoga.











I did lose another 3 pounds this week, and I do realize I still got in a GOOD workout today :)

3 comments:

  1. What is the Nike run? I need something like that to track my calories..I need to get moving today, but a nap is needed...I have had a hard time sleeping this week for some reason...Week 2 starts tomorrow so I have to finish week 1. What kind of things do you eat on WW? Great job on the loss..I need to lose a few also..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shantel - thanks for posting!

    Nike Plus is a program you can use along with your ipod. There is a little gadget that you plug into where the cord goes, and then you need a sensor for your shoe. I bought Nike Plus compatable shoes about a year ago, but I have a friend here in Nebraska that puts her sensor in a little pouch and ties it to her shoes.

    Check out NikePlus.com, it's really a very motivating site. You can track your runs on a graph, set new challenges, join challenges, and there is also a trainer program. (which I have never used)

    I got my shoes at Famous Footwear, and my Ipod stuff @ Target. BUT -- I think there are new options that offer the same thing. There is a runners watch which is pretty cool. Check out NikePlus (like i said) because everything is on there.

    I love LOVE tracking my distances, and when you reach a milestone, someone like Lance Armstrong comes over the headphones and tells you how hot you are.... or how great you done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omigosh. What a terrible but good story. I'm so proud of you for persevering through all those adversities. That's got to indicate some real motivation! Did you get get the Nike plus working or do you know yet?
    And three more pounds!!! You rock. That's the way to do it. I think you motivate me more than anything else. Good job!
    And would you come to Indiana and help me get my Nike Plus going? Kay, thanks.

    ReplyDelete